Netherland Tavern,

Historic Site War History Battlefield Site Tavern Museum Carriages Partisan Ranger About Us Netherland Tavern Museum

Ike Anderson, member of Baylor’s Light Horse Company B of the 12th Virginia Cavalry, C.S.ARussell Anderson’s interests in the Netherland Tavern and the Battle at Trevilian Station go far beyond just collecting historic artifacts or even the reconstruction of the tavern at this Civil War battlefield site in Louisa, Virginia. Russell is a descendent of a generation of Confederate Veterans who were forced to lay aside their plows and take up arms during the Civil War. Russell takes great pride in both remembering and honoring their wartime service.

Russell’s recalls that his grandfather, Isaac “Ike” Anderson enrolled as a private in Baylor’s Light Horse Company B of the 12th Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A. on September 25th, 1862, at Charles Town, (West) Virginia at the ripe old age of 16 years of age. He was wounded in action near Fisher’s Hill at Tom’s Brook on October 9th, 1864. He received a gunshot wound through the lung that broke his shoulder blade. Some of these details are recorded in his veteran pension application. One of his daughters told the story that Ike had a silk flag drawn thru his wounds that saved his life that day. To the end of his life Anderson remained staunchly committed to the Confederate cause.

Colonel John MosbyIn March 1865 Ike resumed service with Captain George Baylor of the 12th Virginia Cavalry and they joined forces with the command of Colonel John Singleton Mosby, known as the “Grey Ghost”. Ike took part in the raid on Charles Town, W.VA. on April 14th, 1865 and operated as one of Mosby’s scouts in the Shenandoah Valley and to the train derailment of the Baltimore and Ohio train near Charles Town, W.VA., in March, 1865. He was also involved in Mosby’s attack on the blockhouse at Summit Point, Jefferson County, W.Va. on March 30, 1865. And like Mosby, Ike never formally participated in the Confederate surrender.

Before the war, Ike Anderson lived in Maryland as a farmer. He met Virginia “Jenny” Furr while in Loudoun County on a campaign with Mosby from Snickersville (now Bluemont) to Aldie. After the war, they married and located to a farm near Airmont, Loudoun County. As a survivor of the War Ike never forgot these events or what his commander called the “noble dead” that Ike had left behind. Prior to his death in 1923, he was afforded a small military pension, and perhaps more important, the long awaited recognition of veteran status for his service.

Isaac Anderson was the son of Harrison A. Anderson and Mary Ann Burns. His final days were spent in Cumberland, Maryland. It should be noted that he was a third cousin of the famous Confederate female spy, Belle Boyd, who is known to have aided the efforts of Lieut. General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, C.S.A. (Special thanks to Jean Forbes, another direct descendant of this valiant man, for her contributions). Ike Anderson, Washington Post, 1919

Many of Russell’s extended family served in the Civil War. Joseph Fielding Brown, Russell’s great grandfather also served in the Civil War in the 8th Virginia Confederate Infantry Regiment. It was raised by Colonel Eppa Hunton in Leesburg, Virginia on May 8, 1861. According to the pension request of Zilpha Brown, Russell’s great grandmother states that her husband Joseph Fielding Brown, served under Captain Mandley Hampton. That would make him a member of Company E.

Records also show this company was accepted in state service at Philomont, Loudoun County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J R Carter, on 29 May 1861. Hampton’s Company was one of eight companies comprising the 8th Virginia Infantry (the Bloody Eighth) assigned to guard the Potomac River in June and July 1861. History records that they arrived at Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 19 July 1861, stationed near Lewis House, Portici, on 21 July, 1861.

In 1909, Zilpha filed a veteran’s pension application as a widower. At this time, she is living in Philomont, Loudoun, Virginia with the family of her daughter Mary Melissa Brown-Hawling. Zilpha states that her husband Joseph Fielding Brown died (prior to 1900) as a result of contracting consumption during the war. (L A Wood 2015)

To the Memory of the Noble Dead and to the Survivors of the
“Baylor Light Horse,” Company B Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, CSA
Bull Run to Bull Run, Or, Four Years in the Army of Northern Virginia.
By George Baylo

CONTAINING A DETAILED ACCOUNT OF THE CAREER AND ADVENTURES OF The Baylor Light Horse, Company B, Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, C. S. A., B F Johnson Publishing Co. 1900 Harvard College Library US6216.6.12 Bull Run to Bull Run. Chapter 17, pages 250, 252 Colonel Purington, commanding the First Brigade of the Third Division of Cavalry Corps, in his report of the engagement of the 7th, says:

George Baylor“The Second Brigade in the rear was attacked and compelled to fall back, losing all the cattle and some of the forges of the brigade. Part of the First Brigade were deployed, checking the enemy,” and on the 8th he says: “The Eighteenth Cavalry, as rear-guard, was attacked and compelled to fail back on the brigade, losing some killed and a few wounded.” Early on the morning of the 9th, Sheridan’s Cavalry, in full force, recrossed Tom’s Brook, attacked our cavalry division, then under command of General Rosser, and after a spirited fight, routed Wickham’s Brigade on the back road and Lomax on the turnpike, driving them in confusion and capturing our artillery on these roads. That morning our brigade was occupying a position about midway between these two roads. Colonel Dulaney, commanding the brigade, ordered our regiment in line in front of a piece of woodland, in which we had encamped during the night. In a few moments the enemy appeared in our front in considerable force, and began a rapid fire on our column. Colonel Dulaney, as brave as Julius Caesar and as punctilious in obedience to orders as the boy that stood on the burning deck, declined to attack, and we were left at the mercy of the enemy’s fire, with little ability to return it.

Company B possessed no weapons but pistols and sabers, and clamored to go forward, but the Colonel peremptorily declined. Finding that our lives would be sacrificed without injury to the enemy, I disobeyed orders and led a charge of Company B on the enemy in our front, breaking its line and throwing them into confusion. But our number (not over 21 men) was too small to hold the advantage we had gained, and we were forced to retire on our regiment. In this charge Ike Anderson, a gallant member of the company, was shot through the lungs and carried off the field.

We had just rejoined our regiment, which had been somewhat relieved by our charge, when our men on the back road were discovered rapidly retreating, the enemy pursuing and completely turning our left flank. The order to retire was given, and our brigade, now under Colonel Funsten, Colonel Dulaney having been wounded, moved slowly back, repulsing several attempts of the enemy to break our line. Coming in view of the turnpike, we discovered Lomax in rapid retreat on that road. With a good leader, our brigade might have saved our artillery on the back road by a well-directed charge on the rear and flank of the enemy. As it was, we were forced back by the enemy’s advance on the turnpike and back road, while but feebly pressed ourselves.

CHAPTER XXII. Pages 308-310

February, 1865, like the preceding month, was intensely cold, and both sides were busily engaged in keeping warm and comfortable. March followed with more genial skies, and the armies began to stir. General Sheridan having moved from Winchester, with two divisions of cavalry, joined General Grant’s army around Petersburg. General Hancock succeeded him in command, and made- new arrangment of military posts, and some days were spent by us in familiarizing ourselves with the situation.

On March 13th, with seven men, we crossed the Shenandoah, then much swollen, swimming our horses, struck the Berryville turnpike, a mile south of Charlestown, about 10 P. M., and moved cautiously in the direction of the town, then garrisoned as a Federal post. At the toll-gate, then located within the present corporation limits, we were halted by the enemy’s picket, a single soldier, who demanded, “Who comes there?” I responded, “Friend to Abe Lincoln.”

Ike's civil war bookThe picket then replied, “Advance and give the countersign.” Advancing until within a few feet of him, I discovered he was covering me with his gun. I realized that a ruse de guerre was necessary. I was riding at the time a little sorrel horse, Jeb, an almost perfect cavalry steed, learned in many accomplishments, who would rear whenever desired. This picket was on the alert, and I must divert his attention. A stroke on the neck, and Jeb rose on his hind legs, and as he did so, I shouted, “Take down your gun, you frighten my horse.” Down it went, and in a second my pistol was at his head, with a demand, “Surrender, you son-of-a-gun.” This was my favorite salute to the Yankees on such occasions, and was as near swearing as anything I did during the war, and I believe it had as much effect as something stronger. The soldier’s gun dropped on the ground, and up went his hands. My comrades now coming up, the countersign was demanded of the prisoner and given to us without hesitation. Death was the penalty threatened if it proved to be wrong.

The prisoner then directed us to the next post westward, where the countersign proved genuine, and this picket also was gathered in. The town was surrounded with a cordon of pickets, and the full circuit was made aid all the posts relieved without trouble or alarm until the last was reached. This post was just east of the one first taken, on the hill in rear of the Academy. As my recollection now serves me, there were with me on this occasion. Douglas Mason, Howard Kerfoot (now the distinguished Baptist divine), Jim and Shannon Gallaher, Ike Anderson, Bob North, and Willie Johnson.

The pickets up to this one had been relieved by me without the least difficulty. Doug. Mason requested and was granted permission to relieve this last fellow, as I apprehended no danger. When a halt was demanded and the sentinel’s inquiry had been answered, “Friends, with countersign,” Mason rode forward at the demand, “Advance and give countersign,” until close to his man, when he was ordered to dismount. As this fellow was evidently more cautious than his fellows a little apprehension was felt for Mason’s safety, and the next moment was awaited with suspense.

Suddenly two shots rang out simultaneously on the night air, breaking the solemn stillness of the hour. Dashing up, I found Mason and the Yankee lying on the ground, Mason shot through the shoulder and the Yankee through the stomach. No disturbance had been made until the encounter with this picket, but now the alarm was given, and a speedy retreat was necessary, as the reserve would soon be upon us. Putting Mason on his horse, I started south on the Berryville turnpike, Mason, prisoners and small guard in front, and some three or four in rear to protect them.

The enemy pursued only a short distance, and very cautiously. Halting at each favorable point, the advance was greeted with a little volley, which seems from the enemy’s account not to have been without effect. After passing Roper’s Hill the pursuit seems to have been abandoned, and Mason was taken into Mr. Milburn’s house on the Frame (now Burns) farm, his wound dressed and bound. Our retreat was then continued to Clarke and Warren counties, and the prisoners sent to Gordonsville.
The enemy’s report of this affair, contained in the following dispatches, is very meagre:…

Netherland Tavern © 2015
All Rights reserved